Books, Bedtime, and a Surprise (Sorry, no B-world would work)

May 01, 2011

I've started my summer reading a little early this year and I'm adding to my list daily.  Right now I'm reading Keeping the House by Ellen Baker and loving it. Check out the link since I'm not going to review it here...







Next on my list is  Water for Elephants.  I realize I'm a little late to this one, but I won't see the movie until I've finished the book. 







Lilah and I are enjoying (over and over again) some great picture books at bedtime these days. 
 Fancy Nancy:  Ooh La La! It's Beauty Day is one of the cutest girly-girl books I've read.  Nancy throws out her "fancy" words (mistaken is fancy for wrong) with a little French vocabularly mixed in and I'll tell you Lilah is picking it up!










Another one we love is Alice the Fairy.  We actually listen to this one on a fun little player my mom bought from Scholastic or Books Are Fun or something.  Alice reminds a lot of Lilah Grace!















Bedtime is a really sweet time with Lilah, once we get there.  She doesn't particularly like that she is first to go...  But, we read one book and then we pray and then I bring her a drink.  Always in that order.  I've tried to bring the drink with me when I come, in order to streamline the process.  Nope.  Sorry.  Doesn't work that way.  I really like our bedtime routine and I think I'm probably going to continue to read with her until she's 18 or so. 

Parker, who is now reading her driver's license manual and pretty much nothing else, received a nice surprise Friday night.  I won't go into the detailed story because it would take too long and I doubt you'd really care to know it, but the girls and I had decided we'd surprise Daddy with an iPhone.  It arrived Friday and we had it wrapped and waiting for him. 

This was very difficult for PJB to do because this meant the next upgrade wouldn't roll around til August...  And, there are reasons I was perfectly fine with that.  My husband works extremely hard -- 70 hour weeks are his norm.  He is still dealing with losing his father.  This spring has been rough to say the least, so I thought this might be a sweet little pick-me-up for a deserving guy.

Well, I love this man and here's one of the many reasons why.  He wouldn't keep it for himself.  He knew Parker had waited and waited and he gave it to her.  She cried (sobbed, really); He cried (teary-eyed, really); and, of course, I had to cry, too.  He told her she was a good girl and he loved her.  We just had a tender family moment.  The scene playing out in our living room immediately brought to mind Matthew 7:11:  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!  (I had to look the reference up...but I knew the verse!)

Parker's status on Facebook later (not much later) read: 

 "‎-even when i don't realize it, and i'm a total brat, i have the BEST family in the world. they do so much for me and i don't appreciate it half the time. i don't know what i'd do without them. thank you, mom, for putting up with me everyday. thank you, dad, for working as hard as you do. i'm so blessed.♥" 

And, naturally, she had to post a picture...


I think the giving blessed Jamie even more.  Parker has been sweet as pie since Friday evening.  I hope that lasts a while!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. We LOVE Fancy Nancy at our house! What a wonderful gesture by Jamie. I am sure Parker is over-the-moon. And I can't believe she is old enough to be studying for her drivers' test. Isn't she still supposed to be a little girl?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images