Dented

January 22, 2011

My car has a dent in the front passenger door.  It's a good one.  My husband had parked on the road in front of a friend's house and his neighbor backed into our car.  A year and a half ago.  The dent's still there. 

We didn't fix it with the insurance money, instead, we lived on the $1,600 check Farm Bureau issued us for damages.  This happened during a time when Jamie was on his second long layoff in a 15 month period.  We had paid September's bills (the absolutely necessary ones) with my August 30th paycheck and there was really nothing left.  Unemployment was not an option because of the timing of the two layoffs, the job market in our area for anything related to what Jamie does was worse than I can ever remember, and we were truly living day to day.  I was praying Matthew 6:25 during this uncertain time.


“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?"
 
I had prayed that God would provide for us, and I believed that He would.   And, He did!  He provided in a way I would not have expected.  The dent in the door was truly a God-send.  That check was issued to us to compensate for the damage caused by their client.  We didn't have to use it to fix the door, but the amount we were given was based on what that would cost.  That amount was perfect.  We stretched that money as far as we could and it was enough.  Just as I was tempted to resume my worrying, Jamie's half-brother asked him to help out with his business for a while.  And, two months after that, Jamie was called back to work full time at his former place of employment -- back to the job he loves.

God is faithful.  That dent in my door is evidence of that.  Every now and then I have a moment of self-consciousness about that dent, but it passes.  How funny that a dented door would serve as a constant reminder to me that God is good. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images