Time's Up!

October 21, 2011

This is my last day at home -- the end of my four week "vacation."  I hate that I'm having to return to work just as I'm feeling well enough to get some things done around here.  One more week of deep cleaning closets and working in the yard would be a wonderful thing, but I must face reality and a new nine weeks and return to my classroom.  Jamie and I were talking about how nice it's been for me to have this time at home.  I told him that if I were a real stay-at-home mom, I would have accomplished more on a daily basis instead of taking it easy.  I think he believes that ; ) 

One thing I've learned is that I would probably not be one of those moms who is dressed and ready when she takes the kids to school.  I have friends who look amazing every morning when they make the rounds even though they're going back home.  Maybe I'm still tired, but I've done good to throw on yoga pants and make a ponytail before heading out the door. 

This week and last I've kept Lilah home with me quite a bit.  She and I don't really get a lot of one-on-one time.  It's been wonderful to just hang out with her.  She is an amazing kid all the time, but when the big girls aren't around to pester, she's just perfect.  I'm blown away by how smart she is and the way her mind works.  I don't have favorites, but...  She's my favorite 5 year old : )

Are you guys excited about the cold weather we've had in Arkansas this week?  I love it!  I'm so ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I'm ready for boots.  I'm ready for spiced tea.  I'm ready to add a quilt to all the beds.  I may feel differently about the cold when I'm in Chicago next month!  We'll just happen to be there the weekend they light up the Christmas decorations on Michigan Avenue.  I am beyond excited about this.  I've always dreamt of being in NYC at Christmastime, but Chicago will be a nice substitute.  I hope I'll get a chance to pick up a few gifts -- stocking stuffers because we're doing the three gift thing again this year.

If you're new here, last Christmas we decided our girls' Christmas lists were getting a little out of control.  Rather than put a dollar amount on what they could ask for (because PJB is like her momma and will focus on how to get the most out of that amount which distracts her from the true meaning of Christmas), we decided we would let them ask for three things apiece -- something to play with, something to wear, and something to read.  Now, they get a little more than just this, but this is all we allow them to request.  I know other families who've incorporated the same idea, but they label their gifts frankincense, gold, and myrrh -- something for body, something expensive, and something for your spirit. 

I'll just tell you this is one of our truly successful parenting ideas.  Initially, our oldest had a bit of concern about this and thought that "something to wear" meant an entire outfit.  Nope.   It means one thing.  When you want jeans that cost $100 and up and boots that cost $150 and up -- well, let's just say remember your lot in life -- Mom is a teacher and Dad's a machinist.  We are not Kardashians.  The lists around here this year include a Nintendo DSi, a phone (Molly -- not sure about this one yet), and a shopping spree at Ulta (I'll give you three guesses...).  These are the requests in the "something to play with" category.  When you have three girls as spread out as ours are, it's a lot of fun to see the range of things Santa will be bringing.

I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself.  We still have to do Halloween.  Lilah is the only one dressing up this year.  Can you say cutest cowgirl ever???  In honor of this last day at home, I'm going to spend some quality time with it and give it a light cleaning that I hope will last through tomorrow.  Have a great weekend!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images